• How to request a student transfer

    PGCPS Student Transfer Season Open April 9 - May 4, 2018

    PGCPS will accept student transfer requests for the 2018-2019 school year from April 9 through May 4, 2018. Parents and guardians of students currently enrolled at a PGCPS school can submit transfer requests electronically through the SchoolMax Family Portal. Portal access is limited to parents and legal guardians. Parents or legal must have an active SchoolMax Family Portal account (username and password).

    Parents and legal guardians of students that are not currently enrolled but have a student identification number should call the office directly at 301-567-8751. Your child's enrollment status must be verified.

    The Office of Student Records, Transfers and Archival Services will not accept transfer requests to schools that exceed state-rated capacity. Use the links below to view a list of schools eligible to receive transfer students and details, transfer process instructions, and FAQs.

    Decision letters will be mailed no later than June 30, 2018. Please allow at least three weeks for delivery. The Office of Student Records, Transfer and Archival Services can not be held responsible for receipt of notifications if addresses have not been updated in the Student Information System (SIS) SchoolMax. Parents and legal guardians must ensure residence addresses are captured accurately in SchoolMax.

    How to Submit a Transfer Request

    Parents/guardians who would like to transfer their child from their neighborhood school to another PGCPS school may submit a transfer request during the open student transfer season. The student transfer season has closed, it will reopen in the Spring of 2018. Transfer requests may be submitted outside of the transfer season only for the following reasons: 

    •  Families that move into Prince George's County after the transfer season ended 

    •  The student has a health issue or other documented, compelling reason for changing schools must be verified by PGCPS, Attending physician or health professional

    •  The family is moving to a new neighborhood and the student would like to remain in their current school until the program or school year ends 

    What You Need to Know

     How to Submit a Transfer Request – Currently Enrolled Students 

    1.  Set up a SchoolMax Parent Portal user account

    2.  Your student must continue to attend the current school until you receive official notification that your transfer request has been approved 

     How to Submit a Transfer Request – New Students ONLY 

    1.  Complete the enrollment process at your neighborhood school to get a family ID number

    2. Please call the office directly at (301) 567-8751. Your child's enrollment status must be verified.

    3. Your student must attend their neighborhood school until you receive official notification that your transfer request has been approved.

     Frequently Asked Questions  

         Click here to view frequently asked questions about student transfers.