PGCPS LogoPrince George's County Public Schools
  • School History

     
       
    The History of Seabrook Elementary School 
     
    undefined

    1891

     The original Seabrook Elementary School was a one room schoolhouse built in 1891. It is located at number 6116, just two blocks from the current facility on Seabrook Road. The building has been designated a Prince George's County Historic Building and the ramp was added to conform with the ADA.

    1952 

         In 1952 a new facility was built at the current address featuring four regular classrooms and the standard array of offices, restrooms, closets and the like. This portion of Seabrook Elementary School has been completely surrounded by later additions and some of the rooms have been modified to suit other purposes. Only a keen eye and blueprints allow today's visitor to see what the building might have looked like.

     

    1960

    undefined
    The year 1960 saw the addition of five classrooms, one double sized classroom with moveable walls, an administrative area, and a large multipurpose room with a stage at one end, and kitchen and serving facilities at the other end. This addition was located on the west side of the building.
    Above is the northwest corner of the 1960 addition. This space houses the six new classrooms.
    undefined
    This view shows the new main entrance created by the addition. Left of the entry are the administrative offices still in use today.
     
    undefined
      The view above shows the southwest corner of the 1960 addition. Left of the windows is the stage and to the right is the food preparation area.


     

    1963

      Just three years later, seven more classrooms were added to the east side of the 1952 structure perpendicular to the 1960 addition. The addition of temporary classrooms in recent years has obstructed our view of this wing of the building and no photograph is possible.
     
    1966
    undefined
     Shortly after the 1963 wing was added, seven more classrooms, a media center, and a resource area was added to the building. This new wing was connected to the north end of the 1960 addition and extends to the east. The photograph above shows the northern exposure of this latest addition.


     

    2001

    undefined
      In 2001, there are a few temporary classrooms to house the growing student population, the equipment on the playground has changed to be safe for the youngsters, but Seabrook Elementary's physical plant looks much the same as it did when the 1966 construction was finished.